The Harm Outweighs Any Contended Benefit
In the Qur’an when Allah discusses Alcohol and Gambling He says: “They ask you about intoxicants and games of chance. Say: ‘In both there is great evil as well as some benefit for man; but the evil which they cause is greater than the benefit which they bring.’” (2:219).
Thus the harm brought about by intoxicants and gambling is greater than any benefit they may provide. Similarly if there were any contended benefits to the blood shedding rituals then the harm brought about by them is much more severe.
Below is a list of some of the detriments and benefits of the rituals.
- Not following the Sunnah of Ahlulbayt (a) when mourning.
- The extreme emphasis on the rituals gives people wrong ideas about the religion.
- Weak and perhaps fabricated narrations are quoted to justify the rituals.
- They severely damage the image of Shia Islam and cause revulsion.
- Disillusionment amongst the Shia with regards to the practices of their own communities.
- The possible spread of diseases and the cause of physical harm.
- Causing disunity in the community along with vilification and defamation.
- Close-mindedness and asabiyyah created by the unjustified promotion and adherence to the rituals.
- Bad hijab amongst mourners.
- Making the surroundings najis.
- A sense of empathy with the martyrs.